Monday, May 6, 2013

Why don’t we have flying cars by now??

When we were young it was believed that in the future we would have cars that can fly and there would be no worries about traffic jams or congested highways!  It seemed like all the futuristic movies and cartoons always showed folks traveling around in flying cars that hovered over the road and we all imagined that by the year 2000 or so, we would all be travelling around like this with no issues.  Well, I hate to break this to you but I don’t think we are any closer now to a flying automobile as a daily commuter than we were when I was a kid. 

1959 Cadillac Cyclone Concept
Now we have made tons of highly advanced and technological steps toward making the cars we drive handle better and go faster.....…have you been keeping up with where we are now as far as horsepower and handling is concerned??   If not, let me tell you about a few stats that will get your blood pumping if you are a car guy or girl.
The 2013 Porsche 911Carrera S has a listed 0-60 mph time of 3.7 sec., runs the quarter mile in 12.1 sec at 116 mph, and recorded an average lateral acceleration of 1.03 G’s.  Even though this car has a price tag of $123,840….....Those are race car stats from just a few short years ago.  (Courtesy of Motor Trend)

(Photo Courtesy of Motor Trend)
The 2013 Chevy Camaro ZL1 has an estimated 580 HP, runs 0-60 mph in 3.8 sec. and boasts a top speed in the quarter mile of 117 mph all while being priced at only $57, 265   (Courtesy of Motor Trend)

(Photo Courtesy of Car and Driver)
I remember when I was younger the first thing I did when I opened a copy of Car and Driver or Motor Trend Magazine was to flip to the back and check out the list of new cars and the stats they listed.  I always scanned that list for the fastest car from 0-60 mph or top speed and that was the car I wanted!  Hey, it never hurts or cost anything to dream right??
Okay maybe the cars we drive in 2013, or at least have the opportunity to drive, might not be propelled through the air, but trust me they are “Flying” down the highway!
Thanks, Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment