Friday, April 26, 2013

What is your “American Idol”?

As I was watching the show “American Idol” this week it got me thinking about the level of talent and how hard it is to stand out from the crowd these days.  I think we can say the same thing about the cars we see on the streets today, it has become very hard to distinguish one car brand from another.  The past few years has seen the Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro, and Dodge Charger give us a blast from the past as each of these cars brought back that classic/iconic look that they became famous for.  Even the new 2014 Chevy Corvette unveiled a few weeks ago pulled from the old-school goodies bag by reviving the “Stingray” name……used for the first time since 1967. (I’m a Ford guy, but I think it looks awesome!)

2014 and 1967 Corvette Stingray (photo from Automobilesreview.com)

I think if the American auto maker wants to sell more cars and get back the piece of the pie being lost to the foreign car makers, they must not be swayed by all the market studies and social media hype.  The Detroit boys need to make cars that appeal to the young crowd as well as the older guys who enjoy driving American Iron.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of many cars from across the pond, however, it seems that today’s cars are falling into the cookie-cutter mold and all look the same!  Seriously it’s very difficult to make out a Hyundai from a Jaguar or a Kia from BMW and to me that’s a problem.  I’m not saying the design is not good or that the cars aren’t attractive, I’m just afraid buyers are searching for a unique look that sets their ride apart.  Years ago part of the American dream for every young boy was to own a true “American Idol” and it was parked in your driveway!
Thanks, Joseph
(Article and comments also found at: http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=7605#axzz2RbKNNFED)

2 comments:

  1. I think you have a very valid point. We've marveled over the classics for so long that we haven't allowed anyone to come forth with a new classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some folks are tired of the whole retro look, but I think they can take it a step further and continue to push on with newer designs that will keep the cars fresh, but true to the classic lines!! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete